Just in time for Valentine’s Day, here is an easy kick for your chocolate biscotti. They look ever so innocent with the dark chocolate color and hazelnut bits, but a subtle kick after a second or two will let you know things get more interesting here. While the pairing of hot chili and chocolate seems no longer exotic or strange with spicy chocolate truffles and hot chocolate mixes spiced with chili powder in chocolate shops, the little impact of gochujang (고추장; Korean hot pepper paste) in chocolate still comes unexpected at home.
This biscotti recipe is adapted from a collection of biscotti recipes @ www.joyofbaking.com/biscotti.
- 1/2 cup Hazelnuts
- 1 1/2 cups All-purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 Eggs
- 2/3 cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Gochujang
- 1 Tbsp Instant Coffee Powder
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Mini Chocolate Chips
- Toast 1/2 C of hazelnuts at 350F/180C in the oven for about 10~15 minutes or until the skin starts to peel. Take it out of the oven and cover with a clean kitchen towel. After about 5 minutes, peel the hazelnut skin by vigorously rubbing with the towel. Chop peeled hazelnuts and set aside.
- Sift together 1 1/2 C of all-purpose flour, 1/4 C of cocoa powder, and 1 ts baking powder.
- Whisk together 2 eggs, 2/3 C of granulated sugar, 2 TBSP of gochujang, 1 TBSP of instant coffee powder, 1 ts of vanilla extract and 1/4 ts of salt. Add the flour mix and combine well. When the dough starts coming together, add the toasted, chopped hazelnuts and 1/2 C of mini chocolate chips. Mix to combine.
- On a lightly floured surface, form a flat log with the dough. On a parchment-lined baking sheet, place the log and bake at 350F/180C pre-heated oven for 20 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Take the log out of the oven and let it cool for about 5 minutes. While the log is still warm, cut it diagonally into 1/2 inch thick slices. Transfer the slices back to the baking sheet and bake at 350F/180C oven. After 10 minutes, flip the slices upside down and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Cool completely on a rack. Store in an airtight container.
yesterday 어제 (eo je)
today 오늘 (oh neul)
tomorrow 내일 (nae il)