Kimchi making is often a very labor intensive process. In fact, every November is dedicated to kimchi making, call it the kimchi making season. But today, I will show you how to make a very simple recipe of stuffed cucumber kimchi called oi sobaegi 오이 소배기.
My recipe differs slightly from the original Korean recipe, due to my residency in the US, but the flavor and theory of making this dish will be basically the same.
Refreshing and easy cucumber kimchi that is both spicy and cooling
- 8 pickling cucumbers
- 1/2 pound of chives
- 1/2 ~3/4 cup of [amazon_link id="B0000CNU54" target="_blank" ]fish sauce[/amazon_link] (Three Crab Brand preferred)
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons of [amazon_link id="B005G8JKR0" target="_blank" ]kimchi grade chili powder[/amazon_link] (if not available then use 4 tablespoons of fine chili powder or vice versa)
- 2 tablespoons of [amazon_link id="B004W71CJU" target="_blank" ]fine chili powder[/amazon_link]
- Thoroughly rinse the cucumbers and the chives.
Cut then ends off of the cucumbers.
Chop the chives to about a inch in length, or finer.
Cut the cucumbers lengthwise, in quarters, leaving about a 3/4" left uncut.
Combine the chili powder and garlic with the fish sauce, bring it into a loose paste consistency.
Mix the chili/fish sauce paste in the chives, then let it sit for a few minutes.
Begin stuffing the chives into the cucumbers. Give the cucumber a little rub with the chives before stuffing them for extra flavor.
- Your oi sobaegi is complete. You can eat it fresh, or let it marinate overnight (or more, but no more than a few days) for your maximum enjoyment!
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 2 g||3.1%|
|Vitamin A||Vitamin C|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
This cucumber kimchi is enjoyed throughout the year, but particularly around summertime for its cool and refreshing effect of the cucumbers. Try making this very simple kimchi recipe and tell us what you think of it!