- Rated 5 stars
- Jung Sik Dang 정식당
- Published on: May 27, 2009
- Last modified: March 21, 2018
- AmbienceEditor: 95%
- FoodEditor: 97%
- ServiceEditor: 97%
- ValueEditor: 90%
Jung Sik Dang is the pioneer of Korea's "New Korean" cuisine, marked by new techniques and a playful attitude. The name of the restaurant itself is a joke on the chef owner's name, Yim Jung Sik and the name for a basic Korean restaurant, "sikdang." It's a small restaurant with a clean atmosphere that emphasizes the food. They use two set menus, a lunch menu (40,000 won per person) and a dinner menu (100,000 won per person). They are expensive, but they come with many courses of sublime food. The menu changes every two months, and the CIA-trained chef uses his experience from working in New York and Europe to produce locally grown food using techniques that have never before been seen on the peninsula. And it tastes good, too. Many of the dishes harken back to familiar flavors with puckish surprises. I should also note that the service is the best I've seen in Korea. It's professional without being pretentious. The servers put you at ease.
Cuisine: Modern Korean
Suggested Items: It’s a rotating prix fixe menu. Just let the chef take care of you.
Other Amenities: English menu, English speaking staff
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window)
Absolutely amazing! The best meal I’ve had in Korea and possibly the world! There was a point in my meal when I actually wanted the food to stop coming because I was becoming so full. Then the entree arrived and I couldn’t have been happier. The dessert itself was a three course meal that had one of the greatest snacks I’ve ever had (apple top, some sort of apple candy jelly, and an apple soju puree).
Your comment was even better than the review. Now I want to go back.