This is one of those constantly evolving recipes. I’ve been experimenting with ways of making the perfect french fry. I think I’m getting close.
Potatoes, washed, sliced into french fries with the skins on or off
Crab Boil Seasoning (optional)
Oil for deep frying
1. Soak the sliced Potatoes in a bowl of cold Salted water for a while to leech out some of the starch. The water should look milky be the end.
2. Drain the Potatoes and place in a pot of boiling water with 1/2 cup of Vinegar and 1 Tbsp. of Crab Boil Seasoning. Boil for 15 minutes.
3. Drain the Potatoes and let them cool. Heat the oil carefully over medium to medium high heat.
4. Fry the Potatoes in the oil until they are crisp. I recommend using a fry screen to place over the pot to prevent oil splatter all over the place.
5. Take the Fries out of the oil and put them in a collander. Immediately season with Salt and serve.
NOTE: This process works even better if you freeze the parboiled fries before frying them.