This is my mock up of my favorite restaurant slaw. The preparation method I got from Alton Brown.
1 head of Cabbage, thinly shredded
1 Onion, thinly shredded
1 Carrot, thinly shredded
2 tsp. Sugar
1 Tbsp. Vinegar
2 Tbsp. Buttermilk (optional)
1. Rub a lot of Salt in the Cabbage and let it sit in a collandar over a bowl for an hour. This leeches out a good bit of water, preventing the slaw from getting watery.
2. Rinse the Cabbage thoroughly by dunking it in a bowl of water and draining it again in the collander.
3. Combine with the Onions and Carrots.
4. Mix the Mayonnaise, Sugar, Vinegar, and Buttermilk and combine with the vegetables.
5. Add lots of Black Pepper, tasting for balance.
6. Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving, giving the flavors time to mingle and mellow.