Jump to recipe
The modern fish taco was born in Baja California, although different kinds of fish tacos have been part of that Mexican state’s cuisine for centuries. I made a Korean fish taco with 된장 doenjang-glazed cod, Korean pear salsa and coleslaw (shredded cabbage or lettuce would work).
Savory Doenjang and sweet, crunchy Korean pears add texture to these fish tacos. (Tammy Quackenbush photo)
In November, U.S.-grown shingo pears are still in season, and ones imported from Korea are still readily available in many Korean grocery stores.
Korean-grown shingo pears are noticeably larger than their American siblings. Unlike some supersized fruit, the larger pears tend to be more crunchily juicy and sweet without being syrupy than the smaller versions. Cubed raw shingo pears refreshingly complement salads, sandwiches and salsas.
Doenjang-glazed Fish Tacos With Shingo Pear Salsa
(Makes two to four servings)
Recipe: Korean Fish Tacos
- 4 taco sized Flour Tortillas
- Shingo Pear Salsa (recipe below)
- Doenjang Glazed Cod (recipe below)
- Dice the cod into bite-sized pieces and plate onto flour tortillas.
- Top with pear salsa and serve.
| Amount Per Serving:|
| Calories|| 831|
| % Daily Value*|
| Total Fat 12 g|| 18.5%|
| Saturated Fat || 0|
| Trans Fat |
| Cholesterol || 0|
| Sodium || 0|
| Total Carbohydrate || 0|
| Dietary Fiber || 0|
| Sugars |
| Protein |
| Vitamin A || Vitamin C |
| Calcium || Iron |
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 1 [amazon_link id="B003NKK0RM" target="_blank" ]Korean Shingo Pear[/amazon_link], chopped
- 3-4 tsp [amazon_link id="B000RYPP5E" target="_blank" ]Hoisin Sauce[/amazon_link] (For extra sweetness, use Plum Sauce.)
- 2 tsp [amazon_link id="B003XDIU30" target="_blank" ]Soy Sauce[/amazon_link]
- 2-3 tsp Cilantro, minced
- 1 Serrano Chile, seeds removed, diced (optional)
- 2 Tbsp Red or Orange Bell Pepper, diced
- 2 Tbsp Red/Purple Onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 tsp Brown Sugar
- Mix hoisin sauce, soy sauce, pear, cilantro, chile, onion, lemon juice, brown sugar and red pepper together in a small bowl.
- Allow to mingle while making the cod.