Today’s March 3rd. Those threes (sam) mean it’s Samgyeopsal Day. It’s a good day to enjoy some Korean pork belly, if it hasn’t been all bought up following the week-long smoggy gift from China.
Now for the Banchan!
- Congratulations to Chef Im Jung Sik and his restaurant Jung Sik Dang. They were the first Korea restaurant to win in the S. Pelligrino Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants 2014. They garnered Best Restaurant in Korea and Highest New Entry Award.
- I take it she’s not a big fan of kimchi. Well, at least her husband is.
- The Korea Times has a good article on the Hapjeong neighborhood, which is an area I’ve been touting for a while. I hope it doesn’t go the way of Garosu-gil.
- The local government in Gangnam have gotta be idiots. The more we find out about this incident of thugs turning over food carts while police just stood there and watched, the sleazier it gets. The latest excuse from these jokers is that they hired the thugs because the food carts were jeopardizing public safety. (As another motorcycle zooms down the sidewalk.)
- Dude ate neighbor’s dog. Doesn’t really help Korea’s dog meat reputation.
- A Korean TV show has started a chicken & beer craze in China.
- British celebrity chef Gizzi Erskine was in town for a week. We got to hang out last Wednesday for some cocktails and dinner. She is a lot of fun and full of enthusiasm. I think I have a new friend.
- Top Chef finalist Shirley Chung was also in Seoul going on a heavy food exploration. We had some samgyetang at Tosokchon.
- A Korean food documentary I make a cameo in has posted a trailer online.
- The first K-Town Night Market opens this spring in L.A.
- This hiatus is OVER! The Dark Side of Seoul tour starts again this month. Every Friday and Saturday.
- It sounds like some of my far-out-there predictions are coming true. Tea cafes are starting to pop up in more places, including Hong Kong Taiwanese chain Gong Cha and this little tea shop near Ehwa.
- Seo Ra Beol (Duluth, GA)
- Coreanos food truck’s Kim Cheese Fries makes Houston’s 100 Favorite Dishes 2013-2014.
- Didn’t I also predict that churros would be big this year? I hear it has the ubiquitous line out the door now.
- Fat Girl reviews France Gourmet–delivered French sausages
- I didn’t know you could make black garlic in a rice cooker!
- Refreshing watery Nabak Kimchi from Beyond Kimchee
- LA Galbi by Beyond Kimchee (on a rolls, buddy!)
- Slow Cooker Beef Kimchi Jjigae by My Korean Kitchen
- Korean Anchovy Relish (Myeolchi Jeotgal 멸치젓갈) by TickTalk (in Korean)
- J. Cyr on Twitter made a dish inspired by our Cilantro Kimchi