A little update on the Unnamed Hagwon case, since I’m getting asked a lot.

I found out yesterday that Unnamed Hagwon’s key money, the deposit Unnamed Hagwon Owner paid for the school’s space, is now frozen by the government for our court case. The case still won’t happen for a while, maybe March. We didn’t freeze the school’s operating assets, but that hasn’t stopped Unnamed Hagwon Owner from using me as the scapegoat for her shady activities.

In case you haven’t been following this case, Unnamed Hagwon owes me around 6,000,000 won (~$6,000) in unpaid wages, severance, taxes, and expenses.

Back to real life.

We didn’t do much for New Year’s. We didn’t do anything. I had my week vacation, and we just relaxed at home. We didn’t go to Songtan for shopping because, really, we’re just that lazy. We did make a trip to Costco. I stocked up on cheese, bacon, sausage–oh man, our breakfasts were heavy that week.

On Saturday, I met Colin and Seong-ku for hockey in Anyang. We actually bought the Steff Hot Dog Party Zone tickets. We were the only ones who did, and we basically had our own private box seat at ground level behind the goal.

Afterwards, we made a quick stop at the apartment to pick up Eun Jeong. We then headed to downtown Anyang to meet Colin’s mother and her colleagues at the winter camp she’s working. Nice bunch o’ folks. We had a hearty belly-warming dinner of JjimDalk, which is chicken smothered in a smoky sauce with sweet potato noodles. Great winter food.

We then went out for drinks at a nice new bar which looked like a big hang out for the college crowd. Colin was challenged by this big ole hoss to an arm wrestling match. Colin knew he was going to lose, so he only agreed to arm wrestling if it was followed by a drinking match. He lost the first. Won the second. Eun Jeong and I called it a night after that.

The next day, Eun Jeong’s beloved house father from Toronto, Mario, was coming to Korea. He had been in Japan for a week, and he wanted to see all his former “house children.” Unfortunately, his flight was so delayed that it was too late in the evening for me to trek to Seoul and back. I had to be at work early the next morning for the start of winter school. Yet Eun Jeong went and had a great time.

Reunion with Mario

We have indeed started winter school. The schedule’s longer, but it’s not that bad. The hardest part is getting up and out early. We have a lot of goings on behind the scenes that I really want to share here. But I’m not saying anything until everything’s written, approved, signed, and notarized.

In the meantime, my Little Kimchi leaves today for an intense five day training session for her new job. I’m so proud.

Don't make mistakes other travelers have made!

Get regular emails with insider tips on how to maximize your visit to Korea. Sign up now!

Tour Tips Newsletter

You have Successfully Subscribed!