I’m working on a little list of tips to guide people in their restaurant choices. We all know that in Korea, especially in urban areas, that restaurants come and go so quickly that it’s futile to base your decision on recommendations alone. Here is a preliminary list I’ve come up with. There are some reasons for some of these rules that I’ll elaborate on later.
- There are lots of people having a good time
- Avoid restaurants with long lines
- Trust your nose
- Ignore carnies
- Chain restaurants disappoint 80% of the time, Korean and international
- Fusion is evil
- Family friendly is not your friend
- Office workers know best
- Korean restaurants with Japanese on them are meant to fleece Japanese tourists
What are your indicators of a good or bad restaurant in Korea?