Our team of experts is putting together unique tours that aren’t touristy.
You can also join us for a memorable meal and meet new friends at our dine-outs. We hold them at groovy restaurants. Sometimes we even do the cooking with guest chefs and bartenders!
SUBSCRIBE to receive weekly updates on tours and events.
VISITING KOREA? Contact us with when you’re coming and what you want to do.
ZenKimchi uses its new portal Korea Food Tours to handle all tour bookings. Here are a few tours. Go to the site to see the latest.
The Quirkiest Neighborhood in Seoul
Why go Gangnam Style when Hongdae is the place to be? This quirky neighborhood full of students, artists, bohemians, punks, hippies, and just general eccentrics is the MUST SEE stop when in Seoul. We take you on a two-hour stroll through the secret alleys to show you the coolest restaurants, bars, and clubs. Don’t worry! We’ll email a map afterward so you can go back to the places you liked best. Hongdae is the home of Korean pop culture’s future. When your grandkids think of Korean pop culture, Hongdae will be where it started.
Tour includes seeing the following:
- A cafe with live sheep
- Locations of the most legendary clubs in Hongdae
- A quick stop outside YouTube sensation Eat Your Kimchi studios
- Hello Kitty Cafe
- A beer hall in the shape of a Czech castle
- A restaurant done up to look like a Hawaiian getaway run by French expats
- A camping restaurant with a pool
- Locations of top cocktail, makgeolli, and wine bars
- Eunhasu Cafe–made popular by Korean indie band 10cm
A MUNCH TICKET also includes the following:
- Fried shrimp so unique that it has patents in the U.S., Korea, and Japan
- Artisanal ice cream
- Trendy kimbap (rice rolls)
- Beverage of your choice at any coffee shop we visit
- Length of tour: approx. 2 hours
- Type: Heavy walking, tasting
- Food types for special diet consideration: pork, shrimp
- Suggested items: Comfortable walking shoes, bottled water, umbrella (depends), camera
- Start location: Sangsu Station, exit 1 (line 6)
- End location: Hongik University Station (line 2, AREX)
- Start times: 1 p.m. (M, W, F), 7 p.m. (W)***
- Ticket price: $30-50
Out of all districts in Seoul, Mapo is the best known for Korean BBQ. We dine at the epicenter of Mapo-style barbecue for some charcoal grilled pork, aged kimchi, and raucous atmosphere. We will then head to the Jeon (Korean Pancake) Market for some cool photos and take our secret entrance into a traditional pub to chill for the evening.
So, to break it down
- Mapo-style pork BBQ
- Korean pancake market
- Korean pancakes and beverages at a traditional pub
Wear comfortable shoes and bring an ample appetite. The ticket price includes all food. It also includes alcoholic beverages (within reason) at the first two stops. Beverages at the final stop are a la carte since some guests may stay longer than others. Non-alcoholic discount is available upon request.
- Length of tour: approx. 2 1/2 hours
- Type: Walking, eating
- Food types: pork, pancakes, alcohol, alcohol, smoky environments (even though smoking technically isn’t allowed)
- Suggested items: Comfortable walking shoes, umbrella (depends), camera
- Start location: Gongdeok Station, exit 7 (lines 5, 6, AREX)
- Usually held on: Mondays
- Start time: 5 p.m.
- Ticket price: $55-85
The Dark Side of Seoul Ghost Tour
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND!
Murder! Ghosts! Sex! This is the side of Seoul that you won’t find in the tourism brochures. Take a tour down the dark alleys of the forgotten 600-year history of bloody massacres, seedy hideaways, and mourning ghosts. Stops on this tour include the following:
- A palace so haunted that the famous Queen Min refused to spend the night there.
- The bridge whose stones tell a dark story that lovers and passersby know nothing about
- A neighborhood known to be occupied by the spirits of prostitutes who met grisly ends
Along the way we regale tales of Seoul’s famous ghosts and murderers, weird and surprising landmarks, and the ancient city’s scandalous secrets.
This is not a food tour. There will be an opportunity to buy refreshments. Ladies will receive a measure of protection from certain Japanese ghosts.
Children under 18 should not take this tour. It involves violent stories, sex jokes, and foul-mouthed tour guides.
- Length of tour: approx. 2 hours
- Type: Walking
- Food types: not included but opportunity to buy street food and refreshments will be made
- Suggested items: Comfortable walking shoes, bottled water, umbrella (depends), camera, change of underwear
- Start location: Anguk Station, exit 2 (line 3)
- Usually held on: Fridays and Saturdays
- Start time: 7 p.m.
- Ticket price: $30-40
Simon Lee’s Korean War & Food Tour
Unique Way to Experience History
They call it “The Forgotten War,” but its echoes are very much present in modern day South Korea. Military enthusiast and former Korean Air Force pilot Simon Lee shared riveting tales of a brutal war that ripped a country apart, including accounts from his own family. Walk through the Korean War Memorial and see true artifacts that bring this era to life. At the end of the tour, everyone enjoys a lunch of Budae Jjigae, an American-influenced stew that was borne from this era.
Tour includes experiencing the following:
- Learning the causes, major battles, and aftermath of the Korean War
- Personal family anecdotes that make the war feel closer
- Exploring the Korean War Memorial museum
- Seeing and touching authentic tanks, planes, and equipment used in the Korean War on both sides
- Boarding a ship that was shot up by North Koreans in 2002, a truly scary experience
- Lunch of Budae Jjigae (Army Base Stew)
This tour is great for
- History buffs
- Military enthusiasts
- Families looking for an enriching excursion
Wear comfortable shoes. The ticket price includes all food.
Length of tour: approx. 3 hours
Type: Walking indoors and outdoors, meal
Food types for special diet consideration: beef, gluten (can be removed upon request), pork, slightly spicy
Suggested items: Comfortable walking shoes, bottled water, umbrella (depends), camera
Start location: Samgakji Station, exit 12 (lines 4 & 6)
Usually held on: Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays
If you want to do the tour on another date we may have some options available. Please contact us.
Personalized tours are available.
Please contact us to plan your own food trek.