Kimchi grilled cheese sandwich
This is inspired by the Eighth Annual Grilled Cheese Invitational in Los Angeles, Calif. I can’t make it down there to participate officially, but I can compete in spirit.
The Kama Sutra
The Kama Sutra sammich is any grilled cheese that is made with exotic bread or contains any other ingredients than the above mentioned.
The only rules to the Kama Sutra sammich are as follows: The sammich MUST be grilled and the internal ingredients must be at least 60% CHEESE. Other than that, this is a freestyle category, so go for it. This is where you can create any savory flavor concept your twisted mind will allow, so long as the internal ingredients are at least 60% cheese.
The Kama Sutra category is not only the most liberal, but also the most popular. So you must keep in mind that the competition is fierce and you could be up against the largest block of competitors, so you better get it right!
It is in this spirit that I submit the following recipe:
An awesome combination of two awesome flavors
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 slices cheddar cheese
- 1/8 - 1/4 cup kimchi, finely diced
- 1 tablespoons butter, divided
- Heat your cast iron skillet on medium heat (so the cheese melts and you don't burn your bread). Spread butter on one side of each of the bread slices.
- Place one slice of bread, butter side down in your pan.
- Add one slice of cheese and kimchi and then the other slice of cheese.
- Place other slice of bread, butter side up on top.
- Grill until lightly browned and flip over; continue grilling until cheese is melted.
If you use a panini machine, you can save yourself the flipping step and some cooking time, too. You can even cut the butter out of the recipe totally if your panini machine is non-stick.